Reduce energy consumption in your home... you help the planet and save money
at the same time! Here are some ways that you can make a difference:
1. Your refrigerator runs all year long, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Clean
the seal periodically on the fridge door. This provides a firm seal, no loss
of cooling and less use of electricity.
2. Don't rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. This could save
up to 20 gallons of water per load.
3. Store drinking water in the refrigerator rather than letting the tap run
every time you want a glass of cool water. A water dispenser is the best solution.
4. Fix all water leaks, particularly hot water leaks. You are paying for every
5. Wash clothes in cold water. The laundry soap kills the germs, not the hot
water. Pre-treat any stains first.
6. Use a rain barrel to collect water for the gardens and lawn. This water
7. Use timers to activate lights.
8. Switch to low flush or dual flush toilets. They can save over $100 per year
in water bills and reduce the amount of water used to flush by more than 50
9. Always turn off lights when not in use, even with energy efficient bulbs.
10. A programmable thermostat provides warmth when required and savings when
you are at work.
11. Low flow faucets and showerheads save both water and the cost to heat the
12. New weather stripping on doors and windows can greatly reduce costs and
make your home feel warm and cozy.
13. Any places that air leaks that are too small for insulation should be caulked
to reduce leakage.
14. Insulate water pipes. This provides instant hot water and avoids wasting
water while you wait for it to get hot.
15. Space heaters use a lot of electricity. Spend the money on improving the
insulation so that you do not need these heaters.
16. Dryers consume a lot of energy. Consider outdoor drying, which requires
zero energy and creates zero pollution.
There are some major Canadian financial institutions that are now offering
green or eco smart mortgages. If you upgrade certain items in your house to
be more energy efficient, you become eligible for a lower mortgage rate. And
you lower your energy bills at the same time!
Home Straight Inspections provides inspection services for houses,
condos and town homes in Cambridge, Galt, Preston and Hespeler,
as well as, the surrounding area.
AHIT Certified Home Inspector
Registered Home Inspector of the Ontario
Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI)
Home Inspection Tip of the Day: